About Diss 2017

With up to 97% of a ship reusable, this industry can provide an excellent source of steel, amongst other things for those willing to recycle the ship, meaning the breaking of ships can be a profitable operation. However the other 3% made up of hazardous waste, asbestos, oils and mercury, can provide an environmental disaster for those who do not deal with the recycling process responsibly. Given the processes and materials involved, without adequate health and safety precautions, the operation can also pose a risk to those manually taking part in the dismantling process. Given the average lifespan of a modern ship is 26 years and 2012 saw 1,250 and 1,026 ships dismantled in 2012 and 2014 respectively, it is an industry unlikely to decline any time soon and it is important these issues are addressed. 

 

DISS 2017 aims to explore the practical and theoretical aspects of the ship dismantling industry rather focusing on the promotion of commercial aspects of the industry. The aim of this conference therefore is to create a framework for knowledge sharing, which will hopefully aid in creating a roadmap for future research activities and industry best practices/benchmarks. This will be done by creating a forum for leading industry players, researchers and practitioners to discuss their latest developments and strategies going forward

 

 

 


ConferenceThemes

Industry Overview
Health and Safety Issues
Materials and Processes
Facilities and Infrastructure Development
Rules, Regulations and Guidelines
Managing Environmental Impact
Information Technology and Ship Dismantling
Ship Breaking Techniques
Recycling
Costs and Benefits to Ship Recycling Countries

Organising Committee

Purnendu Das

ASRANet Ltd

UK

Christopher-John Cassar

ASRANet Ltd

uk


International Advisory Committee

Dr Arun K Dev  Newcastle University International Singapore Singapore
Prof M Rafiqul Islam  Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology Bangladesh
Prof K Sivaprasad  Cochin University of Science and Technology India
Dr Abdul Rahim  Class NK UK
Prof Cdr (Retd) Prashant Kumar Singhal  AMET University India
Prof Metin Taylan Istanbul Technical University Turkey
Henning Gramann GSR Services Germany

Key Deadlines

Deadline for abstracts
16 Sep 2016

Notification of acceptance
17 Oct 2016

Submission of full papers
20 Feb 2017

Registration closes
13 Mar 2017



Back to top